Sunday, August 18, 2019
The skye times mobile

Highland Council's Environmental Health team have identified raised levels of naturally occurring algal toxins following routine monitoring at Loch Eishort (Skye), Lochs Beag and Ailort (Lochaber) and Loch Laxford (Sutherland).

Commercial harvesting sites in these areas have been closed as a consequence of the levels of an algal toxin called PSP (paralytic shellfish poison).

Eating shellfish such as cockles, mussels, oysters or razor fish from these areas is likely to pose a health risk arising from the consumption of these toxins.

As a sensible precaution, people should avoid eating shellfish from this area until further notice.

It is important to note that cooking does not remove risks from consumption.

Site created by Intermedia Services (Stornoway) Ltd © 2017