Saturday, November 17, 2018
The skye times mobile

Highland Council have warned against algal toxins in Skye and Lochaber shellfish.

The Highland Council's Environmental Health team has identified raised levels of naturally occurring algal toxins following routine monitoring at Loch Eishort in Skye and Loch Beag in Lochaber.

Eating shellfish such as cockles, mussels, oysters or razor fish from these areas may pose a health risk arising from the consumption of these algal toxins.

As a sensible precaution, Highland Council have advised people to avoid eating shellfish from this area until further notice, noting that cooking does not remove risks from consumption.

Commercial shellfish harvesters in the area have been contacted by the Council.

Site created by Intermedia Services (Stornoway) Ltd © 2017